Living In The Woods
Living in the woods is one of the most exciting experiences for people who want to live off-grid.
But without proper knowledge about the environment and the lack of survival skills, it can be not easy.
If you plan to live or have stealth camping in the woods, you might get familiar with all the skills needed.
A Must Read: What Are The Best Mountain House Meals?
How do people live in the woods without getting caught? When you want to live off-grid and not be seen, the most important thing is to be as quiet when setting up your camp. Avoid opening lights if it is not necessary as they can attract attention from other people around.
If you wish to learn some tips and advice that you can follow to live in the woods without getting caught, this article is worth your time.
It is also vital that you know all the things you need to consider if you plan to live off-grid.
In the latter part of the article, I will be discussing how to find the best stealth camping spots.
If you want to pursue living in the woods and not get caught, it is essential to learn about stealth camping.
Stealth camping is secretly camping in a private or public area without being detected.
It is an ideal way to find places free to camp and discover some campgrounds and breathtaking locations in the wilderness.
Stealth Camping Tips and Tactics
When you plan to do stealth camping, the plan is not to get caught or seen by authorities or other people.
One of the reasons people are inclined to this kind of activity is because they want to explore the most epic natural places.
As some areas can be off-limits, you might want to practice stealth camping tactics to reduce your chances of getting caught.
Here are some stealth camping tips and tactics you can follow to make sure you get the best out of it and not get caught:
- In terms of setting up your camp, it is essential to have your camp set up at the perfect timing. You do not want to set up very late at night as the light will be absent. At the same time, you do not wish to set up the camp early as it can get the attention of other people.
- You should avoid using lights or other means as it can get a lot of attention and it is advisable to cover it with reflective tape.
- If you are looking for some new tents, it is recommended to have the darker ones that can blend into your environment. Colors like green, dark green, brown, or any other earthy colors will be the best ones to pick.
- Another is if you want to live off-grid and avoid being caught, you should always move from one location to another. Changing your positions during stealth camping will diminish the chances of getting caught.
- Among the important thing is to make sure your camp spot feels safe. You need to be careful when choosing your spot in the wilderness. You don’t wish to be sleeping in an area where there are imminent dangers in your surroundings. It is not all wildlife you should be worrying about. There are plenty of cases where a few people committed a robbery of your tools and equipment.
- A great strategy is to camp uphill off roads as people tend to look down then looking up. A lot of stealth campers camped up high off the road multiple times on their tour.
- Do not start a campfire as it can attract attention from other people and try not to disturb too much of the natural environment. Cover all the apparent tracks that may be caused by you stepping on some grass or bike prints.
- When deciding a spot in the wild, find a camping spot that no other vehicle can reach you. It means that you need to find a spot where you have to push through thick forest and make it impossible to be reached by car.
- It is essential to know if a private company or individual does not own the land you are trying to camp. It can save you from trespassing and all the legality of the land.
- Try not to overstay in a spot you are comfortable to live in. The longer time you spend in one area, the more likely you will be seen. It is not ideal to camp in the same place twice.
- Last but not least, you must know where you are. It is for safety reasons that you must rely on yourself to get out of sticky situations. For instance, if you need immediate medical attention, you can still get out of there safely.
Finding Great Stealth Camping Spots
Many national parks and trails have designated campsites for many people who visit and traverse their trails.
But as a stealth camper, you plan to avoid those sites as much as possible and try something new.
It means that you are going out there that no other people have gone through. Finding great stealth camping spots is not difficult at all, and it is relatively simple.
You only need to search for a place that is perfect in terms of size and safety.
One way to do that is to go on Google Maps with the satellite options selected and search for bushes, trees, forests, rivers, lakes, and deserts.
Once you can find a spot that looks okay on the map, you can try to scout the area first to find out what it looks like in real life.
Check for some flat ground, tree coverage from rain, and mostly soft ground.
Things Worth Considering When Stealth Camping
The basic rule in stealth camping is to limit the visibility as much as possible and then leave no trace or signs that you were there.
It means that you should use minimal lights, removing all reflective things in your gear, and definitely, you should stay out of the fire.
Here are some things to consider if you are planning to do stealth camping or wild camping:
Once you are out there, you do not have the luxury to have all the easy access to water than normal campsites.
It is why it is essential to find a spot that has a running water source. But if it’s not on the choices, you make sure to bring enough water to get you through the night and the next day.
Stay Organized With Your Gear
If you are stealth camping, you want to be in and out without getting noticed.
So this means the less complicated and the fewer tasks or more things you unpack that night when settling into a camp.
The easier and quicker you can move your way out in the morning. You should know where all your gear is and have enough practice to pack your gear back on your bike or bad as quickly as possible.
Check The Weather
Make sure to check the weather every night when camping to help you make educated decisions on where you want to camp.
It also applies to how you are going to camp. It might be a good evening where you do not even need to pitch your tent and only lay under the stars.
Understand Local Laws
If you drop by from one location to another, especially in different states, make sure to do some reading on local laws.
It can give you an idea regarding wild camping and make your side with the laws.
You do not want to overstep in private land and get caught for breaking some laws about trespassing. There are certain states or countries which have very strict laws on wild camping.
Always stick in your mind to respect the environment and practice some stealth camping tactics to minimize damage.
Some countries have different laws about it and are very welcoming to this kind of camping style. Some are not.
The best campsites are stealth campsites. You just need to be more respectful of the entity that owns the land.
You will be more surprised by how understanding some people are when you act respectfully, pleasant, and non-threatening.
Also, you should pay respect to other wildlife that is living there.
Living off-grid is an exciting and unique way of living that opens a whole new world of different possibilities.
It indeed comes with its own share of risks and concerns, but it will be fine with the right amount of preparation and foresight.
To not get caught, minimize light and noise, and you will be able to live in a place where there are sanity and peace.
By sticking with these principles, you will enjoy all these amazing views and peaceful surroundings.
Clothing To Wear During A Zombie Apocalypse Zombies have been a mainstay in many pop culture and movie references, not to mention a pile of horror and thriller books. Many people are still...
Zombies Scared Of Water There's no doubt that zombies nowadays are everywhere. May it be in movies, books, and even in a series. Some may say that Zombies are real, and there are cases reported...